Preparing to Study at a French University
Better understand the workings of study and life at a French university.
This course will allow you enhance your study skills in order to better understand course content and structure, develop effective ways of communicating and lead you to success in your studies in France or a French-speaking university.
International students who have a B2 or C1 level of French and plan to study in the French higher education system.
Sessions last 4 weeks (80 hours of class).
Students must certify that they have reached level B2 on the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR) or level 4 of the TCF. Alternatively, they must have obtained the University Diploma in French Studies DUEF B2 awarded by the CLA.
It is not compulsory to be enrolled at a French university to attend this course.
This course is structured into 3 modules :
Module 1 : Understanding the French university system (18 hours)
• Becoming familiar with French academic culture (2 hours)
• Learning how the French university system works (2 hours)
• Understanding the characteristics of academic discourse (14 hours)
Module 2 : Academic reading and writing in French (32 hours)
• Writing short texts (18 hours)
• Developing reading strategies to understand long texts (10 hours)
• Reading and understanding diagrams, graphics and charts (4 hours)
Module 3 : Academic communication (30 hours)
• Understanding lectures (16 hours)
• Note-taking techniques (4 hours)
• Making presentations and taking part in discussions (10 hours)
This course alternates lectures and more practical activities such as role-playing, case studies and simulations, with an emphasis on group work.
All students have access to the CLA Media Centre where they can work on the various assignments given by their teachers.
– Academic documents : lectures, course booklets and handouts, examples taken from student notes and papers, etc.
– Articles taken from specialised magazines and journals
– Recordings or videos taken from specialised sources
Students will be given a certificate of attendance at the end of the course.