The CLA - Centre de Linguistique Appliquée of Besançon, in the Franche-Comté region, was founded in 1958. Our centre was one of the very first to develop a practical teaching of foreign languages based on research into linguistics applied to teaching, and on modern methods and equipment, such as laboratories, communicative approaches, self-learning processes. All this methodology made it afterwards possible for us to teach for specific and career goals.
Nowadays, the CLA is a part of the Université de Franche-Comté, and about 4,000 interns of various origins and walks of life receive every year training at our institution.
The CLA carries out the following missions:
- teaching of about ten languages including French as a foreign language (FLE)
- teacher and trainer training
- research and development and academic research
- expertise and missions worldwide, on the request of several educational and cultural institutions, of French and foreign embassies and ministries – especially the Ministries of Foreign Affairs and National Education
The CLA is a member of the CampusFLE network which unites all FLE-teaching University Campuses into an academic Association aimed at promoting French as a study language for university training. CampusFLE’s Quality Charter ensures the harmonisation and recognition of degrees from the various Campuses.
The CLA is a partner of the Agence Campus France, a public interest grouping gathering ministries (National Education, Higher Education and Research, and Foreign Affairs), higher education institutions, and the “grandes écoles” (French selective and elite higher education institutes).
The “label Qualité FLE”
A quality label for the teaching of FLE
The CLA was awarded a certification « Qualité français langue étrangère » (‘quality teaching of French as a foreign language’) by the Ministries of National Education, Foreign Affairs, and Culture.
Every year, the CLA of Besançon responds to more than 120 requests for support in more than 65 countries worldwide. These requests are especially:
- support to the implementation of education policies
- management and follow-up of teacher training schemes
- expertise and support in the setting up and assessment of programs on behalf of the French Ministry of Foreign Affairs, of the partner countries’ Ministries of National Education, and of educational and cultural institutions